Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Two days of bad luck.

Traveling went well, if well means getting milked for all your worth. It seemed like any way they could get more money from us they did. Other than that the flying was smooth. Daphne was so good. It was such a long day and it was nice to get off that last flight and know we were done for the day. We were planning on going all the way to Lamar that night, but It would have been horrible to do that. So we stayed the night at a hotel so we could get some shopping and other things done. 
The next morning we got all our shopping done. All morning Johnny's parents were calling us and telling us we needed to come home because there was a storm, but we wanted to make sure everything got done so we didn't have to head back to Denver before the new year. On our way home all the roads were really clear........and then we hit Eads and things changed dramatically. All of a sudden there was a blizzard between us and our final destination. When his parents said there was a storm I was not picturing what was before us. Johnny was driving very carefully, but hit some black ice and the next two seconds of my life felt like an hour. He lost control and we slid across the road, spun 180 degrees and ran into a barbed wire fence. While we were spinning I just grabbed Daphne's seat and braced myself, I was just waiting for us to flip. Don't worry no one was harmed in any way. The car did get pretty banged up though. When we ran into the fence we hit a post and it bent and lodged itself under the car so we couldn't get out.

We called the cops and Johnny's parents.The cop came and said he had another wreck that was priority because it was a flip so he left and we waited for a tow truck to pick us up. While we were waiting two snow plows stopped and then the cop came back and they got us out. So we got back on the road and headed home. Well 45 seconds after starting out we hit another patch of ice. It was not bad that time we just spun around 180 again, but stayed on the road. We decided the smart thing to do was to sit where we were and wait for the tow truck. 

It took forever for the tow truck to get us home, but it was such a relief to walk in the door and have a hot chocolate and a warm bed waiting for us. So leaving Dominica was a pretty eventful undergoing. It will be a trip I will never forget.

P.S. Johnny passed!


  1. OMG Tracy how terrifying!! I am so glad to hear that you are all okay. On a lighter note, welcome back to the USA!


  2. Wow, what a welcome back to the states- from the Caribbean to a blizzard!! That's the best feeling in the world when you get the official word that he passed! Congratulations!!!

  3. Oh my! I'm glad you guys are all safe and sound. Must have had some angels watching over you :)

  4. Wow!! Tracy! Glad you are SAFE and OK! I hit black ice once and will never forget that, but doing it TWICE in one night?!? Yikes. Welcome back to the good ole USA. I'm sure you're going through a lot of bitter sweet mixed emotions. Your time in the Caribbean sounded like quite the adventure and that you made a LOT of friends and grew a lot personally. I am so happy for the experiences that you get to have. So fun! :D

  5. TRACY! I'm so glad y'all are okay and finally made it home safely!!!